Grab a hankie. This is pretty moving:
Daily Archives: March 2, 2010
Regrets, they’ve got a few. Yet these Democratic Sinatras will still do it their way. President Obama is expected to endorse reconciliation in remarks this morning.
The goal is to permanently expand the American entitlement state with a vast apparatus of subsidies and regulations while the political window is still (barely) open, regardless of the consequences or the overwhelming popular condemnation. As Mr. Obama fatalistically said after his health summit, if voters don’t like it, “then that’s what elections are for.”
In other words, he’s volunteering Democrats in Congress to march into the fixed bayonets so he can claim an LBJ-level legacy like the Great Society that will be nearly impossible to repeal. This would be an unprecedented act of partisan arrogance that would further mark Democrats as the party of liberal extremism. If they think political passions are bitter now, wait until they pass ObamaCare.
To meet the Obama administration’s targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions, some researchers say, Americans may have to experience a sobering reality: gas at $7 a gallon.
To reduce carbon dioxide emissions in the transportation sector 14 percent from 2005 levels by 2020, the cost of driving must simply increase, according to a forthcoming report by researchers at Harvard’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs.
The 14 percent target was set in the Environmental Protection Agency’s budget for fiscal 2010.
In their study, the researchers devised several combinations of steps that United States policymakers might take in trying to address the heat-trapping emissions by the nation’s transportation sector, which consume 70 percent of the oil used in the United States.
Most of their models assumed an economy-wide carbon dioxide tax starting at $30 a ton in 2010 and escalating to $60 a ton in 2030. In some cases researchers also factored in tax credits for electric and hybrid vehicles, taxes on fuel or both.
In the modeling, it turned out that issuing tax credits could backfire, while taxes on fuel proved beneficial.
“Tax credits don’t address how much people use their cars,” said Ross Morrow, one of the report’s authors. “In reverse, they can make people drive more.”
Dr. Morrow, formerly a fellow at the Belfer Center, is a professor of mechanical engineering and economics at Iowa State University
Researchers said that vehicle miles traveled will increase by more than 30 percent between 2010 and 2030 unless policymakers increase fuel taxes.
Okay. So unless the government stop us, we will continue to travel, ship produce and other consumer goods, and even go to work. Unless they stop us by taxing the hell out of us. This also limits our ability to move to another city or state.
How many of us can afford gas this high? How many of us can afford to pay for food or other consumer goods when gas goes this high? How many truckers will be out of work? How many farmers? What about the car companies, like Government Motors, that can’t ship cars to people who can’t afford to drive them anyway? Where will the union workers find jobs?
The idea of this is cataclysmic to our economy. We think 10% unemployment is bad? We’ve seen nothing yet.
Once they control our health care, cap and trade is next. They will be confining us to one place. Easier to control the population that way, isn’t it?
Borrowed from Mark Levin:
If congress does this, and it looks like they might, they will pay dearly in November. Count on bloggers, tea partiers and ads to remind you who voted and how when the time comes for us to vote.
More great blogs. Be sure and read:
- Representative Paul Ryan praised for alternative health-care plan
- The Fool On The Hill
- Back from hiding Al Gore’s attempt to defend the undefendable: He can aways plead Insanity!
- US Senate’s top climate sceptic accused of waging ‘McCarthyite witch-hunt’
- Astroturf-A-Go-Go… Is “Coffee Party” a Bogus Obama Socialist Group Designed to Battle & Silence Grassroots Conservative Tea Parties? Looks Like It
- “Reconciliation” vs. New Term “Simple Majority”: Dems Resorting to Word Games, Buffett Explains Why ObamaCare Sucks Eggs, Rove on Pelosi’s Thug Tactics (video)
- Obama’s Socialist ‘Coffee’ Party??? hahaha!!! give it your best shot, ding-dong!
- Palin attacker Tom Tancredo, A Tea Party Loose Cannon; dump this idiot now
- Rahm (via proxies) throws Obama, Gibbs, Jarrett and Axelrod under the Rahmbo Bus
- Pelosi’s Cultist Suicide Pact Recruitment Underway
- Progressives pass extension of BUSH Patriot Act, shhh… it’s supposed to be a secret hahaha
- Obama Begins to Connect Dots – Wars on Terror and Drugs – the Same War
- Pelosi Making it Hard for Dems to be Loved
- Palin Support Websites: Positive Palin Posts Only Need Apply